Last Saturday we had a Kentucky Derby Party. It was such fun to see friends all decked out in their prettiest hats! Even one of the men came in a hat which made him look just he was at the actual Race. Having to admit that I actually forgot to get out of the fridge, a huge fruit salad and lemon squares I had made, I told Randy I guess I’m going to have to start posting a note on the fridge of any dish that needs to be taken out and served. Didn’t find those two dishes until I was cleaning up! We still had the pecan pie bars and brownie bites but I think the dessert hit of the party was the lemon blueberry mini cupcakes with the blueberry frosting. Not only are they so pretty but they are just delicious! Just this morning I have popped two of them in my mouth as I was rearranging the fridge. The lemon cupcakes are simple the lemon cupcakes that are already on the blog and I dropped in about 3 fresh blueberries in the bottom of the mini cupcake liner before adding batter. After cooking this is the frosting I used. It was very simple and made the purée the day before, allowing me to just add it to the buttercream frosting I made Sat morning! Directions below:
• 1 1/2 C blueberries fresh or frozen
• Zest of 1 lemon
• 2 Tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
• 1/4 C granulated sugar
• 1 C unsalted butter softened
• 3 C powdered sugar
• 3 Tbsp blueberry puree see above
• In a large bowl or stand mixer, fit with a paddle attachment, beat butter adding 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time. Scrape the bowl as needed. Add in 1 tablespoon of puree at a time, increasing speed between additions. Mix until fully combined and powdered sugar has no lumps remaining . Transfer frosting to a large piping bag fit with star piping tip.
• Store cupcakes in an airtight container for up to several days. Cupcakes may also be chilled and brought to room temperature prior to serving.