- 6 fresh Anaheim chile peppers
- 1 (8 ounce) package queso asadero (white Mexican cheese), cut into 3/4-inch thick strips
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable shortening for frying
- 1 cup sharpe cheddar cheese
Taken from Allrecipes
- Preheat the oven’s broiler and set the oven rack at about 6 inches from the heat source. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place peppers onto the prepared baking sheet, and cook under the preheated broiler until the skin of the peppers has blackened and blistered, about 10 minutes. Turn the peppers often to blacken all sides. Place the blackened peppers into a bowl, and tightly seal with plastic wrap. Allow the peppers to steam as they cool, about 15 minutes.
- Rinse cooled peppers under cold water to peel off the skins, and cut a slit along the long side of each pepper to remove the seeds and core. Rinse the peppers inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Stuff the peppers with strips of the cheese.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl with the baking powder. In a second metal bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until the whites form stiff peaks. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the yolk mixture. Place flour into a shallow bowl.
- Heat the vegetable shortening in a skillet over medium heat. Roll each stuffed pepper in flour, tap off excess flour, and dip the peppers into the egg mixture to coat both sides. Gently lay the coated peppers into the hot shortening. Fry peppers until lightly golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes per side.
- Spray a 9×13” baking dish with Pam. Pour about 1 cup of the green enchilada sauce in bottom of dish. Place fried green chiles in pan over sauce. Pour about 1 more cup of the sauce over the top of green chiles (dont saturate with sauce. Might not need entire cup over top). Sprinkle the 1 cup of the sharp cheddar cheese over the top and place in preheated 400 degree over for about 8-10 min or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling! Serve with pinto beans and salsa with homemade flour and corn Chips!