We are getting ready for a friend which is coming in tomorrow evening. As I was cleaning up the guest room and putting fresh clean pillowcases on the pillows, I thought back to different places I have been and the difference it made as to how I slept. The pillows. Some people, like myself, sleep on their tummy, while others sleep on their sides or back. It has been my experience to be sleeping in friends, relatives, or hotels where there is only one kind of pillow. Sometimes they are so flat you don’t even feel like you are on a pillow and other times the pillow is so firm and huge that there is no way that you could ever think about putting it under you to sleep on your stomach. So here is my suggestion for your guest room or pillow closet for times when friends will be coming to stay with you. My sweet precious hubby says not to make people to comfortable because they might stay longer than you want, but he doesn’t care if his name is ever in the book of Fabulous Friends Who Treat You Like Royality, so we won’t listen to him.
1. Buy several types of pillows, some firm, some soft and some a little flatter and some a little fluffier
2. Have several different types of magazines in their room. Because of time changes between parts of the country, their wake up or go to sleep time is probably different than yours.
3. Place bottled water and tissue on their nightstand.
4. I have a little bowl of packaged peanuts, an assortment of different candy and gum so if they get a craving for sweets after they have gone to their room, they don’t have to roam around the kitchen looking for something.
5. Be sure that you put out a clean bar of soap for the shower.
6. Have hangers in the closet where they are staying so they have them to hang up clothes without having to ask you for them.
7. If they are early risers and you aren’t, place bowls for cereal out on the cabinet with spoons and place the cereal out the night before so they won’t have to go looking through your cabinets. That would make us have to clean out our cabinets and we don’t want to do that! If you know they drink coffee you might have the coffee pot ready for them to turn on when they get up. That way, they will be in a good mood by the time you stagger in the kitchen around 8.
8. If guests are coming for a few days and they are using your home for just a sleeping place, type up a sheet with the different places around your area that might be of interest to them. Because LA is so large, we have the Points of Interest arranged according to the areas, that way, they know how much time they have and which area they would be able to visit.
9. We now have a list of restaurants close by our house in case they are out and do not want to take the time to come back here, they have the name, address and what type of food it is. Included is our home address and phone number in case they need to put in our address in their GPS or call us for info.
10. Take a couple of pictures of your guests while they are there. It is so much fun to look back and see some of the memories you might have helped them go home with or new memories that made their visit with you special.
These pictures are then easy to use on Postagram to be able to send back to them. (Please don’t tell me you don’t have the Postagram app on your smart phone. I use that app probably more than any other besides Pandora and weather, check it out if you don’t have it already on your phone)
With these tips, you will be assured that you have made your guests feel special and wanted. If you don’t ever want them to come back, ignore points 1-10.